CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Where Did This Name Come From

















When we talked about buying property in 2002 I told Josh I didn't want to be out in the middle of nowhere. I liked North Plains and maybe a little bit west of there would be good, but I was not that excited to drive kids all over and I really liked how centrally located to everything we were in Hillsboro.

Well, Josh was super excited when he saw a sign with property out in Buxton....Where? I had never heard of it. We proceeded to look into buying it, sold our house, and found out we were buying property from a crazy woman. Not just a little crazy, but a complete loon who is hopefully in a special hospital getting the help she so desperately needs.

So fastforward to two years ago after Josh and Dan created their track...it needed a name. We had talked about a cute name for our property for years...maybe "Merritt Meadows" or something with our initials. We had a couple of ideas but nothing ever stuck and none of them seemed right. Then we remembered the crazy lady that wanted to live in the "Bunk house" down on the other side of the creek for a year for free...yes, she tried to live with squirels and mice in a shack that had a microwave two feet from a toilet, I told you she was crazy! So we decided to go with Crazy Acres because that part of the property was coveted by a crazy lady.

Dan thought it was Crazy Lady Acres for a day or so and I am pretty sure he might think I am the crazy lady and not the freak we bought the house from. I immediately set him straight, but who knows what Josh says behind my back.

Anyhow, in my mind the crazy is for the previous owner and not me.

Anyhow, that was how the name came to be and it cracks me up that we went to dinner a few weeks back and guy asked Josh if he was the owner of "Crazy Acres". It just seems so silly! And then there are days that just seem so crazy around our house. That I am convinced that the name totally fits, not just for a moto cross track but for a family mission statement or something. I don't know how we could thrive in this environment if we were not all a little crazy in the head!

This is a pic from Aug. it was a fundraiser for a young man who was paralyzed from a crash. It was a fun day.It was called "a ride for Paul" and they earned about $5,000 for his medical needs so it was a success. My boys loved the big Monster truck that was there. Max won a case of Monster drinks and about had a heart attack trying to down them before I could take them away.




2 comments:

Loralee and the gang... said...

Loved your story. But I didn't know til now that 'Crazy Acres' was the name for your track. I thought it was the name of your whole homestead there, and described all the people in it...Just Kidding. I can laugh because WE are all a bunch of lunatics up here in Athol, Idaho. But you already knew that...
Loralee

Hoffmaniacs said...

We'll have to come visit again and see all the improvements you've made in the middle of nowhere. I think Axel would love Crazy Acres!